The Federal Budget Institute of Science Central Research Institute of Epidemiology of the Federal Service for Surveillance on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) is a large developing research and production complex tasked with solving problems in the field of epidemiological surveillance, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of a wide range of infectious and non-infectious human pathologies. The Institute was established in 1963 and was tasked with developing the scientific foundations for combating epidemics among the country's population.
The Institute's research and practical activities are primarily aimed at solving modern problems of epidemiology, creating innovative diagnostic methods to combat socially significant infectious diseases, and introducing them into practical healthcare and the sanitary and epidemiological surveillance system.
The research potential of the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology comprises 8 full members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, more than 180 doctors and candidates of sciences, 6 winners of the State Prize of the Russian Federation and 24 winners of prizes of the Government of the Russian Federation and Moscow. 56 % of the Institute's researchers are young scientists.
Today, the Institute has a number of research centres, including the world-class Centre for Genomic Research to Ensure Biological Safety and Technological Independence, the HIV/AIDS Prevention and Management REsearch Centre, the Research and Methodological Centre for Immunoprophylaxis of Rospotrebnadzor, 10 All-Russian Reference Centres of Rospotrebnadzor, 4 problem commissions of the Research Council of Rospotrebnadzor, 17 research laboratories and 8 research groups. The Institute has an All-Russian Training Centre for Molecular Diagnostics of Infectious Diseases for advanced doctor training in clinical laboratory diagnostics. In 2022, The Federal Budget Institution of Science Central Research Institute of Epidemiology of the Federal Service for Surveillance on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) became the ninth international reference centre of the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) in the world for antimicrobial resistance.
The research and practical activities of the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology make up an important component of the federal state program for ensuring biosafety and sanitary and epidemiological welfare of the Russian population "Sanitary Shield".
One priority area of the Institute's work is the creation of innovative scientific technologies and the development of domestic medical products based on them. Today, the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology is one of Russia's largest high-tech import-substituting biotechnological enterprises that produces modern diagnostic drugs. Kits of reagents and test systems for diagnosing infectious diseases developed and manufactured by The Federal Budget Institution of Science Central Research Institute of Epidemiology of the Federal Service for Surveillance on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) are widely used in clinical and diagnostic laboratories of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation and the Federal Medical and Biological Agency, institutions of the Federal Penitentiary Service, blood service institutions, Centres for the Prevention and Control of AIDS and Rospotrebnadzor institutions, private medical centres, etc.
As part of the support of the National Project on Import Substitution in Information and Communication Technologies, the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology develops its own software products and solutions for conducting an operational and retrospective analysis of the epidemiological situation both on the territories of individual constituent entities of the Russian Federation and in the country as a whole.
Educational programs are an important area of activity of the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology. Residency training is conducted according to the following programs: epidemiology, infectious diseases, pediatrics. The Institute's postgraduate course offer the following specialisations: clinical medicine (specialty: "Infectious Diseases"), preventive medicine (specialty: "Epidemiology").
The Institute's educational base has been instrumental in the training of specialists from the countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in the use of modern molecular genetic technologies to ensure the biological safety of the population. WHO and UNICEF actively use the laboratory facilities of the Institute to conduct molecular diagnostics training courses in Russia.
The Central Research Institute of Epidemiology annually conducts more than 90 educational events, including 5 annual research and practical conferences with international participation and 10 research and practical seminars under the Continuing Medical Education program (for more than 25,000 specialists).
The Central Research Institute of Epidemiology carries out fruitful international cooperation with the countries of Eastern Europe, Transcaucasia and Central Asia in countering the spread of antimicrobial resistance in food products; with the Republic of Guinea and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam in the fight against particularly dangerous and natural focal diseases; provides research and practical assistance to foreign countries in the field of epidemiology, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of COVID-19. The Institute actively cooperates with UN and WHO structures in HIV/AIDS prevention in Eastern Europe and Central Asia.
At the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology supplied reagent kits for detecting the new coronavirus infection in more than 40 countries around the world.
As part of the fight against the spread of antimicrobial resistance in food products, the Institute continues close cooperation with the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations and the World Bank, and participates in activities to strengthen the national laboratories of the EECA countries.
The Central Research Institute of Epidemiology on Consumer Rights Protection and Human Wellbeing (Rospotrebnadzor) pays great attention to publishing and educational activities. The Institute is the publisher of the oldest scientific journals in our country – "Journal of Microbiology, Epidemiology and Immunobiology" and "Problems of Virology".
The Institute's employees who are among the Top 100 most cited Russian scientists in the "Medicine and Healthcare" category (Source: eLibrary.RU) are recognised opinion leaders in epidemiology and infectious pathology in Russian media.
In 2020, the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology has become an official partner of the Znanye Russian Society – a public and state educational organisation tasked mainly with popularising science and education.
- Clinical Department of Infectious Pathology
- Specialized Scientific Research Department for AIDS Prevention and Control
- Laboratory for Healthcare-Related Infections
- Laboratory for Epidemiology of Meningococcal Infection and Purulent Bacterial Meningitis
- Laboratory for Clinical Microbiology and Human Microbial Ecology
- Laboratory for Molecular Mechanisms of Antibiotic Resistance
- Genome Editing Laboratory
- Laboratory for Epidemiology of Natural Focal Infections
- Viral Hepatitis Laboratory
- Laboratory for Molecular Diagnostics and Epidemiology of Reproductive Organ Infections
- Laboratory for Molecular Diagnostics and Epidemiology of Intestinal Infections
- Laboratory for Diagnosis and Molecular Epidemiology of HIV
- Laboratory for Immunological Prophylaxis
- Laboratory for Molecular Diagnostics and Epidemiology of Respiratory Infections
- Laboratory for Experimental Pharmacology
- Laboratory for Molecular Microbiology and Epidemiology of Mycobacterial Infections
- Genomics Research Laboratory
- Laboratory for Molecular Epidemiology of Viral Hepatitis
- Laboratory for Molecular Methods for Analysis of Genetic Polymorphisms
- Bioinformatics Science Team
- Science Team for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology
- Science Team for Proteomic Analysis
- Science Team for the Development of new Methods of Zoonotic Infections Diagnostics
- Scientific Team for the Development of New Diagnostic Methods for Opportunistic and Papillomavirus Infections
- Science Team for the Development of New Methods of Zoonotic Diseases Diagnostics
- Science Team for the Development of New Molecular Biological Technologies
- Science Team for Mathematical Methods and Epidemiological Forecasting
- Scientific and Methodological Center for Immunological Prophylaxis of Rospotrebnadzor
- HIV Monitoring Reference Center
- Bacterial Meningitis Monitoring Reference Center
- Reference Centre on Monitoring of Salmonellosis
- Viral Hepatitis Monitoring Reference Center
- Reference Center for Monitoring Acute Intestinal Infections
- Reference Center for Monitoring Healthcare-Related Infections
- Reference Center for Monitoring of Upper and Lower Respiratory Tract Infections
- Reference Center for Monitoring of Sexually Transmitted Infections
- Reference Center for Monitoring the Residual Amount of Antibiotics and Antibiotic Resistance of Bacteria in Food Raw Materials and Food Products
- Reference Center for the Study of Varicella-Zoster Virus Infection