Federal Budget Institution of Science "Central Research Institute of Epidemiology" of The Federal Service on Customers' Rights Protection and Human Well-being Surveillance
In 1963 the Resolution of the Council of Ministers of the USSR established the Central Research Institute of Epidemiology with the purpose to develop scientific basis in providing anti-epidemic arrangements for the population of the country.
In 1967 the Order of the Minister of Health of the USSR established the Clinical Pathology Department at the Institute.
Professor Nikolaeva T.A. was appointed the first Director of the Institute (1963-1965), she was succeeded by Professor А.А.Sumarokov (1966-1970) and from 1971 to 2020 the Institute has been headed by the academician of the RAMS Professor V.I.Pokrovsky. During these years the Institute has become widely renowned not only in our country but also abroad as a developer of new promising dimensions of epidemiology and infectious pathology.
From 1971 through 1999 the Institute had comprised the Astrakhan branch which was subsequently transformed into the Research Institute of Regional Infectious Pathology of the Astrakhan State Medical Academy.
The Institute is the leading entity within the Scientific Council on Epidemiology, Communicable and Parasite-Born Diseases established by the joint order of the MoH and RAMS to coordinate and provide expertise for research activities in Russia involving epidemiology and infectious pathology.
PE CRIE * is pursuing fruitful cooperation with the WHO, International Centers, foreign institutes and universities.
Within the Institute, the following centers of the RF Ministry of Health are operating: Federal Scientific-and-Methodological Center for AIDS Prevention and Control; Russian centers on: hospital infections, on meningococcal infection and purulent meningitis, on shigelloses, on salmonelloses, on zoonoses, on monitoring of the community status of immunity to preventable infections, the Center for Molecular Diagnosis of Communicable Diseases and the WHO Collaborating Center for Zoonoses.
The Institute is a country's major developer of theoretical bases and concepts in the area of epidemiology, socio-economic significance of communicable diseases, pathogenesis, diagnosis, therapy and prevention of communicable diseases.
The Institute is staffed by 5 Full Members of the RAMS, 18 professors, 39 Doctors of Science (PhD High) and 50 Masters of Science, 6 Merited Science Activists of the RF, 6 winners of State Awards, 15 winners of the RF Government Awards.
The Institute has the doctorate dissertation council D Д 208.114.01 that performs expert assessment of dissertation papers, carries out the defense procedures for the Master and Doctorate dissertations on the specialties no. 14.00.30 "Epidemiology" and 14.00.10 "Communicable Diseases". PE CRIE has greatly contributed to the training of highly qualifies cadre: during the abovementioned period, the Institute's staff alone have defended 160 Master's dissertations including 48 Doctor's dissertations and 4 people who have been elected the academicians of the RAMS. Many are the heads of the CRIE's laboratories and departments as well as laboratories and chairs at other research institutes and higher medical educational establishments.
At the Institute there are facilities for individuals working on their PhD, Masters dissertations as well as clinical internship. Large numbers of professors from universities, research institutes as well as personnel from practical public health have been working on their dissertation papers under the guidance of the Institute's staff.
The Institute has the Training Center and the license for teaching activities. Annually the courses on specialization and advanced training are conducted including those of the WHO.
* Public Entity Central Research Institute of Epidemiology
The Institute is involved with the following major lines of scientific activity:
- studying the causes and the factors determining current tendencies of epidemic process and clinical course of communicable diseases;
- improving the system of epidemiological surveillance and control of communicable diseases;
- developing and improving the methods of epidemiological and socio-economic analysis;
- elaborating the system of epidemiological surveillance, studying the clinical course and manifestations, improving the methods for HIV infection treatment and prevention;
- studying the epidemiology< clinical course, diagnosis and prevention of the new and newly emerging infections;
- developing the problems of clinical immunology, improving the existing and creating new physical-and-chemical and immunochemical methods for diagnosis of communicable diseases;
- developing and manufacturing assay kits for molecular diagnosis of communicable diseases;
- developing new approaches to the strategy and tactics of specific prevention of communicable diseases;
- studying molecular mechanisms of pathogenesis and immunogenesis of communicable diseases;
- elaborating and improving the methods and means for communicable disease therapy in adults and children;
- developing, pre-clinical and clinical studies of new anti-viral, anti-parasitic and immuno-modulating pharmaceuticals;
- studying microbial ecology of the human body and evaluating its significance in the pathogenesis of various communicable diseases;
- developing the criteria and providing expert evaluation of epidemiological, biological and microbiological safety of human environmental habitat (water, food, medicines).
Structure of the institute
- Specialized research laboratory for AIDS epidemiology and prevention including the federal scientific-and-methodological center for AIDS prevention and control
- Scientific-and-production laboratory for the development and production of preparations for diagnosis of communicable diseases in humans and animals
- Laboratory of arboviral infections
- Laboratory for epidemiologu of meningococcal infection and purulent bacterial meningitis
- Laboratory of epidemiological analysis
- Laboratory for epidemiology of intestinal infections
- Laboratory for specific prevention of infections
- Laboratory of hospital infections
- Laboratory for zoonotic infections
- Laboratory for immunology and biotechnology
- Laboratory for molecular mechanisms of communicable diseases
- Laboratory of human clinical microbiology and microbial ecology
- Laboratory for coordination of testing laboratory center's activities
- Laboratory of nutritional media
- Experimental biological laboratory
- AIDS clinical-and-diagnostic department
- clinical department for infectious pathology of adults
- pediatric clinical department
- Clinical Diagnostics and Research Center